Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"A Tesseract is like a wrinkle, A Wrinkle in Time..."


I feel a little like I have touched the past. Last night at Knit Night, one of the gals taught me the basics of spinning on a drop spindle. I started spinning with a bunch of flax roving (the pile of unspun fibers) and slowly created a small,very lumpy ball of yarn. Those of you that know me well have heard me wish to learn how to spin, well, I am hooked now. The drop spindle (not to be confused with the car part of the same name) is one of the most ancient forms of spinning fibers into yarn. I wonder if the Israelites used this method to spin the goat's hair (possibly cashmir goats) into yarn to create the hangings for the tabernacle? It certainly is quite portable. This definitely deserves more practice, and I have a source now for learning to spin on an actual spinning wheel. (Very cool!) The shawl above is my "Carol's Clever Little Shawl" that I just recently finished in a 'knit-a-long' with a Victorian group. It will definitely get a lot of use, and is perfect for reading in bed on those cool nights.













No comments:

Post a Comment