Monday, March 8, 2010

"A Field of Golden Daffodils..."


As we here in Vancouver brace for a "cold" snap this week, I thought I'd share a picture of my daffodils. These are "Ice King" and I think they are my absolute favorite of all the daffodil varieties. I just love the colors (there is a slight peach tone to the center as well) and the double centers. There has been lots of activity in the garden for a while now, but this week things will be put on hold for a few days as it is supposed to be cold and cloudy with a chance of flurries. (Will March go out like a lion?) This break will give me a chance to get into my sewing room and possible get a few things done in there. I'm sure it won't be long until I can get back outside into my garden.
The snow drops have pretty much finished blooming and the crocuses are finishing now. The lilac is just about ready to leaf out and several of the clematis have buds that are sure to open when the weather warms again. My roses were pruned last week as well. This was really hard to do this year as most of them had really begun to leaf out. But, as Brian Minter says, 'spare the shears and spoil the plant'. So, I pruned with abandon and will have to wait for new leaves to come. The roses will be much happier this way, I know. I got the official notice yesterday that Select Roses opens for the season this next weekend. Somehow this always seems like the start of spring to me. I am sure I will make a number of trips there before they close in July - even if it's just for a picnic lunch and a chance to watch the hummingbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment