Friday, January 22, 2010

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood....

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day and warmer that forecast. We hit 10C here in the nice sunshine and had a chance to work outside for a while. I even opened up some of the windows to air out the house. Sophie was thrilled with the sunshine too. I transplanted some more snowdrop and crocus bulbs and put some unidentified bulbs that came out of an old pot into a new one temporarily. I still have a few snowdrops and crocus that need to be moved - maybe I'll get a nice day next week.
I took a look at the bed 1a again this afternoon in an attempt to solve the bare spot in the winter. I think what I'll end up doing is just rearranging again. I think I will move Lad's Love (Artemesia abrotanum) to the back yard in the herb garden and then put the asters where it was. Then, I can move Osmanthus burkwoodii back toward the house and move Baptisia australis forward toward the front. O.B. will eventually get as large as I will let it and Baptisia will stay about the 3ft that it is right now. This way I will have the evergreen up against the house to fill in the bare spot, Baptisia will get cut down in the fall and then I can plant some Erica or something else in there to brighten up the front. I am running out of evergreen things that will bloom and stay about 3-4 ft tall. However, I really like the Erica and it will stay small and fit quite nicely under the Baptisia. I can also add winter pansies and bulbs as needed for early color.
So, here's what's going on in my garden now. I have lots of snowdrops, crocus, and early miniature iris coming up. Some Hyacinths and Tete a Tete daffodils too I believe. I also saw little green tips poking out of the ground in the backyard that I think are daffodils too. There is some new growth on Sweet Autumn Clematis and Honeybaby Honeysuckle. The Eric in the front 1b are blooming quite nicely as well.
Time to go scrapbooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment