Friday, June 8, 2012

Yarn Snobbery

I hate to admit this, but I have become what some people would consider a "yarn snob".  I really dislike working with all that acrylic stuff that seems to pervade most craft stores.  Not only do I dislike working with it, but I wouldn't wrap my new precious bundle in something made with it.  Now maybe my brain just works differently, maybe it's the time spent with living historians around open flames, but do you know what that stuff does when a spark hits it?  I've seen it, and it isn't pretty, and I would never run the risk of having it around my baby.  For my baby, and if you choose differently I hold nothing against you, it's all natural fibers and preferably wool. But this leaves me with a bit of a problem!  You see, I was given a bag of "wool" (used the way it's used where I live to denote any fiber to knit or crochet with) by a very sweet older lady to "make a blanket for the baby".  There isn't any actual wool in it.  I accepted it several months ago and put it away hoping she would forget about it and that I could get rid of it at some point.  However, I was asked last night if I had made a blanket yet for the baby with the "wool"- she even remembered the colors.  I was able to say truthfully that I haven't made any blankets yet, that my pile of knitting is huge!  Now what do I do?  I can crochet (the quickest method) a blanket just to show her and use it once to please her (this is what I'm leaning towards), or I can continue to ignore it and hope to be able to come up with future excuses.

In the meantime, here are a couple of new photos of baby things just to make you smile.


                                     Boys Booties from Natural Knits for Moms and Babies



Puerperium Cardigan

5 comments:

  1. Conundrum alright! Crocheting a biggish granny square using a very large hook may work and you don't have to use all the "wool" ;) ACKrylic is quite nasty especially when it squeaks on the needles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sort of thinking a ripple afghan would be quick, and no one will know how much yarn I've used. ;) Now it's just breaking down and doing it, so hard when there's so many other useful things to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooohhhh, the squeaking makes my skin crawl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deborah, I do have toys on the list. This stuff was just too awful. After reading the ball band I discovered it was also dry clean only - probably because of the metallic bits. I really had my doubts about using it anyway with the metallic bits in it. So, now a really good reason just to toss the yarn.

    ReplyDelete