Monday, October 24, 2011

Fall is in the Air


There is a definite chill to the air today, and the sun is trying to peek through scudding clouds.  I figured today was as good a day as any, and probably better than some since it's not raining, to get started on the clean up in the garden.  This is the first year that the weeding isn't overwhelming, and there just isn't a whole lot that needs doing right now.  I did a what little weeding there was in the front, trimmed back the lavender that I forgot about during the summer, and cut back the peonies.  Then I had a few plants that needed transplanting, and a bit of yard waste to clean up and that was all.  I thought I would post a picture of what I found blooming in my garden today.  It's a hardy cylamen, it blooms in the fall and has beautiful heart shaped leaves through the summer.  I was afraid that I had somehow inadvertently damaged the bulb before I got it planted, but everything is just fine.  I can see a couple more sprouts just peeking from the soil.  The bloom is tiny, only about the size of a nickle, but so pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment