Sunday, January 23, 2011

Civil War Quilts QAL

Texas Tears - Remembering Sam Houston, Governor of Texas and supporter of the Union



Catch Me If You Can - a block to remember the slaves that made the attempt to gain their freedom.


North Star - a block remembering the abolitionists that stood against slavery.


I've joined a Quilt Along (QAL) for the Civil War Sequicentennial with Barbara Brackman, Civil War Quilt Historian, author, and fabric designer. The name of the blog is Civil War Quilts. ( I want to add her button to my blog but haven't figured out how yet. If any of you can help me let me know.) Each week she shares an eight inch block pattern that represents a point in, or some history of the Civil War, or an actual block used at the time. At the end of the year we all should have completed fifty-two blocks that can be combined into a quilt. I just learned about this through a quilter in my little quilting bee this week and decided to take the challenge. I've started all four blocks and have finished three of them. The applique block will take a little longer as it has to be finished by hand, so it is "sitting" for now. Each of my blocks will be made from accurate CW reproduction fabric. Above are the three completed blocks.






No comments:

Post a Comment