Saturday, August 7, 2010

In Memoriam...


John Cox, 1861 Huttonsville, VA
Joel Line Cox, 21 Regt Illinois Infantry
Jesse Cox, 89 Indiana Infantry
Joseph Cox, 1 Tennessee Cavalry
We visited Hovander Farm in Ferndale, WA today for a Civil War re-enactment. Following the battle, a Cross Brigade was formed to honor soldiers that had fought and those that had died during the civil war. Above are listed those from my family that served both for the North and South during the Civil War.
This was a tremendous event, though quite wet. My new dress was perfect and I was nice and comfortable through it all. The advantage of 7 layers is that when it rains, it takes quite a while for the bottom most to become wet. My shawl served me well, and I'm really glad now that I made it. Jonathan has become a target for the 15 Alabama's recruiting department. He's considering joining up even though we wouldn't be able to attend all the events. My treadle sewing machine could see quite a bit more use in the coming year. At the park there were quite a few historic buildings - this is Hovander House. It wasn't open when we were there, but is open for tours through the week. Perhaps we will be able to go back and take a tour at some point.




2 comments:

  1. I love the photo. When was the re-enactment? Are those yearly?

    -Derek Hovander
    (My grandfather lived there and great grandfather built the house and other facilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! The re-enactment where the photo was taken was in August of 2010, and I'm pretty sure they're yearly. We haven't been back due to conflicting schedules and being very pregnant last year. I would love to go again though.

    ReplyDelete